[gmx-users] About "Invalid order for directive atomtypes"

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 19:35:25 CEST 2008

Hi Hans,

Bottom line, when faced this problem, is:

Always put your ligand itp right after #include "ffamber03.itp" (or
whatever forcefield), i.e, never after chains topologies.

This always worked for me. But you have a point, from the manual I was
expecting it to work no matter the order. Bug?

Cheers,
Alan

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM,  <gmx-users-request at gromacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> know that a lot of problems encountered involving topologies result
>> from having things in the wrong order.  For example, you've included
>> the FAD.itp before ZTRP.itp, but then called ZTRP before FAD in the
>> [ molecules ] section.  I know things in the [ molecules ] section
>> need to line up with what's in the .gro/.pdb file, but I don't know
>> about for certain about order within the topology.  I once included
>> a ligand topology after the water #include statement by mistake, and
>> got a different error, but fixing the order solved everything.
>>
>> Try switching the respective molecule definition or .itp call to
>> correspond to whatever is in your structure file, and see if that
>> does anything.
>
> It does not (I should have said that I tried that). As you point out,
> the order in which the components are listed in the [ molecules ]
> section DOES matter. However, it seems that the corresponding itp
> files can be included in a different (arbitrary?) order.
>

> Cheers
> Hans
>

>> Again, this may or may not be worth anything, but it's something I'd
>> try if all else leaves me scratching my head :-)
>>
>> -Justin

> Dr. Hans Martin Senn
> Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith Research Fellow
>
> E-mail: senn at chem.gla.ac.uk
> Direct line: +44 (0)141 330 6574
> Fax: +44 (0)141 330 4888
>
> Department of Chemistry
> Joseph Black Building
> University of Glasgow
> Glasgow G12 8QQ
> Scotland, UK
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:13:46 +0300
> From: "Vitaly Chaban" <vvchaban at gmail.com>
> Subject: [gmx-users] RE: Gromacs and restraints
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>
>>I will be running protein in explicit water simulations and need a timestep
>>of 2fs. Forces and energies in the system will be analyzed. What restraint
>>setup should I choose?
>
> I think no critical errors would occur if you use shake or lincs for
> water in your case.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:09:35 +0300
> From: "Vitaly Chaban" <vvchaban at gmail.com>
> Subject: [gmx-users] RE: Using user-tables for simulations in vacuum
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>
>>There is no error message except for "segmentation fault". It does the
>>same thing if I try to energy minimize the system instead of running an MD
>>simulation. The corresponding mdp file is pasted below:
>
> Try to make emstep lower. Check your constraints. Check the potential
> and its details.
>
> When segmentation fault occurs, it often means that something is wrong
> with your configuration.
>
> Best,
> Vitaly

> End of gmx-users Digest, Vol 51, Issue 65

Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.
80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, UK.