[gmx-users] segmentation fault with lincs warning

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 21 14:41:20 CEST 2008

Please make sure to keep all correspondence on the gmx-users listserv so it can
be archived for others to use in the future.  I may not ever arrive at a
solution, but others who read the thread may figure out what's going wrong!

ANINDITA GAYEN wrote:

> dear sir,
>

> I have tried to insert only one chaps in the bilayer and the problem arose after the minimisation when i started the MD. I have also tried to do a minimistaion using lincs, where the minimisation also failed to proceed. Can you please tell me is this shows that the topology is broken and therefore it cannot produce the actual geometry?

As I said before, EM is not guaranteed to remove all bad contacts.  If your
minimization fails with LINCS warnings, it is most likely due to the fact that
you have bad steric clashes.  Check the atom pairs that LINCS prints it; it will
give you a clue as to where the problem lies.

Other options include removing a different lipid; maybe the location you've
selected is a bad one to try to disturb the bilayer.

> I am also trying to take a last chance where i want to use the genbox command to place the chaps in the bilyer. But, one of my colleague have faced a problem that inserting one protein in a bilayer caused removal of about 9 lipid molecules. Will this cause a problem in the original bilayer property?

Well, what do you expect?  If you need to place a large molecule in the bilayer,
several lipids may have to be removed :)

Sufficient equilibration (tens of ns under the appropriate conditions) should
return bilayer properties to normal.  Only after this time should you begin data
collection.  "Solvating" a single CHAPS molecule with your bilayer should not
remove too many lipids, probably just one or two.

> I am disturbing a number of times; but i am really helpless. If the minimisation with lincs fails for a molecule, i want to know is the topology totally incorrect? Then what shall i do?

Without seeing the topology, I have no idea.  But that's not my job, or anyone's
on the list.  You've got to check your own work.

-Justin