[gmx-users] Question about Berendsen thermostat and Nose-Hoover temp coupling

mon_sharma at research.iiit.ac.in mon_sharma at research.iiit.ac.in
Mon Jul 21 21:45:17 CEST 2008

Hi Lin!

I personally feel increasing the temperature in increments better than
giving sudden temperature jump to protein. Regarding temp coupling, both
have their limitations. Berendsen is a weak coupling, so can be used for
initial runs. Later you can use Nose-Hoover after the proper
equilibration is done. However, in case of Nose-Hoover, you might have to
select the tau_t carefully, or you will get very large oscillations.

PS: Others please do correct me, if I will be thinking a bit wrong
somewhere.

Cheers!
Monika