[gmx-users] Error problem in free energy calculation

Jianhui Tian jianhuitian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 21:11:31 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have been trying to follow the tutorial
http://www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/group/wiki/index.php/Free_Energy:_Tutorial by
David Mobley to reproduce the solvation energy for methane in water. I
followed the instructions and got the solvation energy in good agreement
with the answer in the tutorial. But I noticed that the fluctuation for
every dgdl is very large. The numbers are attatched below. I have read the
thread in the mailling list about the error thing:
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2007-May/027333.html   and
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2007-May/027237.html, but still I
am very confused about the error and fluctuation. If the fluctuation is so
large, how well can we trust the solvation energy we got? Thanks a lot in
advance for your comment.

lambda    dgdl      fluctuation
0.0       4.713   11.426
0.1       2.209   13.584