[gmx-users] Re: a tip to run gromacs from Fink in mac duo core

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Wed Jul 23 13:05:40 CEST 2008

Alan wrote:
> Thanks vdSpoel,
>
> Just one more question.
>
> So, in a dual/quad core computer, do -sort -shuffle do any difference
> for better? I mean, is there use for 'sort and shuffle' in a
> multi-core computer (not cluster!)?
Definitely, because shuffle will enhance the load balancing (unless you
have just one protein in water) and sort the locality of the data.
This will enhance the performance on both shared and distributed memory.

Cheers,
   Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten Kutzner
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Department