[gmx-users] Membrane: anisotropic pressure coupling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 24 00:15:11 CEST 2008

Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new in Gromacs, and I am trying to simulate the interaction between
> a DOPC membrane and a protein.
>
> I have equilibrated my system at constant volume and now I would like to
> switch to constant pressure.
>
> I think the best option for me is to use ANISOTROPIC pressure, because I
> want to study the ondulations produced in the membrane due to the
> protein. Do you recommend anisotropic pressure for this? or
> semiisotropic would be enough?

A good discussion of such topics can be found in: Kandt, et al. (2007) Methods
41: 475-488.

> Another question is about the values of tau_p and ref_p. I have read in
> the manual that in the case of anisotropic pressure I should use 6
> values. Which values do you recommend to use? Should I use also 6 values
> for compressibility and ref_p?
>

> Pcoupl      = Berendsen
>
> Pcoupltype  = anisotropic
>
> tau_p       =  2.0 2.0  2.0  2.0  2.0  2.0

Only one value of tau_p is necessary.

> compressibility  =  4.5e-5 4.5e-5 4.5e-5  4.5e-5 4.5e-5    4.5e-5

Setting the off-diagonal compressibilities as such may lead to deformations of
the box.  From the manual:

"When the off-diagonal compressibilities are set to zero, a rectangular box will
stay rectangular. Beware that anisotropic scaling can lead to extreme
deformation of the simulation box."

> ref_p       =  1.0  1.0  1.0  1.0  1.0  1.0

Similarly, you are specifying a pressure in the diagonal directions (the last
three values).

-Justin

> Thank you very much for your help in advance.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Rebeca García Fandiño
>
> Parc Cientific de Barcelona
>
> regafan at hotmail.com

> ¡El Mundo Messenger te espera! Entra ya en "I love Messenger" y descubre
> las últimas novedades, trucos, emoticonos. Entra ya en "I love
> Messenger" <http://www.vivelive.com/ilovemessenger/>

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080