[gmx-users] Re: Question about Berendsen thermostat and

Hans Martin Senn senn at chem.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 18:09:12 CEST 2008

On 24 Jul 2008, at 16:57, David van der Spoel wrote:
>> You're welcome!
>>> If this thermostat has a stochastic term, is the dynamics still
>>> meaningful then?
>> Of course it's not!  No thermostat gives physical dynamics.  But at
>> least it gives the canonical distribution at equilibrium!
>
> Well in that case I'm not sure what is more important for me. It
> depends on the application I presume.
>
> But does the NH chain, the mother of all thermostats, indeed yield
> correct dynamics?

Yes, it does. Always assuming that you couple only one (NH) thermostat
to the system. The other thermostats in the NH chain then are
successively coupled to one another, not to the physical system. For
the proof that NH does indeed create a canonical ensemble (see the
original NH papers), these "thermostats of thermostats" don't really
matter.

Cheers
Hans

> (I realize I should know all this, but hey...)
>
>> Best,
>> Michael

Dr. Hans Martin Senn
Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith Research Fellow