[gmx-users] Zinc (Zn) parameters

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Fri Jul 25 15:27:45 CEST 2008

Hi Ramon

As Tsjerk already mentioned, its generally not that easy with such an
"exotic" metal.
Depending on the question you want to get answered, certain aspects
should be regarded.
If the zinc is just keeping the structure in the correct conformation,
and is not directly included in the region of interest, the probably
easiest way is to use the bonded method, where you simply introduce
bonds, which keep the ZN in place (due to LINCS or SHAKE). A harmonic
potential didn't work here (for me).
However, if this is not possible because it resides e.g. in a  catalytic
center of interest, its not that easy.
The cationic dummy method is probably hard to apply, because the
construction of virtual particles in GROMACS depends on at least two
real particles. This is obviously not true for one ZN atom.
Therefore, the best you can do is, using Tsjerks hint and compute the
charge on your ZN in its environment via QM and see, if it remains,
where it should.
I observed, that ZN likes to leave its place, when complexed to 2 CYS
and 2 HIS, given a charge of ~ 0.7.

Maybe, also dependent on your interest, QM/MM could help here.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2305