[gmx-users] Normal Mode Analysis in Double-Precision

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Thu Jul 31 16:34:26 CEST 2008

Inon Sharony wrote:
> Hi Ran.
> I looked up your suggestions, and got the following:
>
> 0. The parameters in the *.tpr file appear in " 0.00000000e+00 "
> format. How can I tell if this is a float or double? Also, I could not
> see if the position coordinates of the molecule appear in the *.tpr
> file (and if so, if they are in double-precision). Where do the
> coordinates appear? (in the *.gro file only?)
When you run gmxdump it should right e.g.:
Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 3.3.3 (double precision)

As for the coordinates, you have e.g.:
      x[    0]={ 1.35920e+01,  1.80590e+01,  1.79780e+01}
      x[    1]={ 1.31410e+01,  1.77710e+01,  1.75260e+01}
      x[    2]={ 1.30070e+01,  1.78390e+01,  1.68430e+01}

This is double precision. In single precision you'd get only 3 digits,
and the rest will be zeroes.

> 1. I do not get any step*.pdb files after the mdrun. In fact, I skip
> the *.pdb file altogether (using PRODRG). Could this be a problem?
It doesn't matter if you use pdb or gro. step*.pdb files are sometimes
given in the output when the system explodes.

It can be that the parameters from PRODRG are not exactly what you want
- you should compare with the force field paramters and charges, though
I'm not sure this can be the source of this behaviour.

> 2. The simulation is done in vacuo.
>
> 3. I examined the input *.gro file (as well as the single-precision
> mdruns) using ngmx, and it looks great for those runs that work (i.e.,
> single precision).
>

> I will now try repeating the whole minimization-NormalMode process for
> a simple diatomic, to see if I have any problems. Could you send a
> working set of files for me to compare with? Assuming you've run
> Normal Mode analyses in the past...
I'm not sure a diatomic system is good for this - not enough degrees on
freedom.
I'll send you an example made with GMX 3.2.1 - I'm not doing NMA too
often, but it should work.