[gmx-users] analysis of different groups with g_energy

Peyman Yamin Peyman.Yamin at cbi.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jun 9 21:41:18 CEST 2008

Thanks!

I had somewhere in my mind a memory of seeing an interactive g_energy some
time ago, but it could be another version of it or that place in my mind
would need a defragmentation!  comments helped indeed anyway.

If group X is one molecule, you would know from it's energy, i.e. the sum of
interactions its atoms have with themself and with the surrounding solvent, a
plenty of useful things. It could, if analysed with an eye on physicochemical
nature of interactions and the resulting conformers, could give neat insights
in some cases. e.g. how would one find some attractors about a certain
arbitrarily defined size-related property, in terms of stability? I thought
if molecule X is tending to have some conformer with the least energy in
medium A, it would also be tending to have an alike conformer in some other
medium of the same nature to the first one.

This is what I think, and, you might want to correct me of course.

But what I don't know now is if the tot-energy output from g_energy when one
chooses a certain molecule, is actually what I think it is, or it's
calculated in another way? How would I know?

Regards,
Peyman