[gmx-users] changing mass in free energy calculation

friendli friendli2000 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:32:30 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I am calculating FE using TI. I have a question about mutating existing
atoms with different mass.
for example, using ffG53a6 force field, in one case i need to mutate CH2
to CH3,
should I use
[ atoms ]
    17        CH3      2    ALA     CB      6          0     15.035
CH2    0    14.027; qtot 1

OR

    17        CH3      2    ALA     CB      6          0     15.035
CH2    0    15.035; qtot 1

I notice from Prof. Alan Mark's online FE course, he mutates a H atom to
a O atom, but does not change its mass.
The line is :
12    HC        1     PHE       HZ          6           0.1
1.008       OA         -0.548        1        1.008

Can somebody explain a bit why we should not change the mass accordingly?

thank you

LQ