[gmx-users] mpirun problem

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Sun Jun 15 21:30:51 CEST 2008

On 15.06.2008, at 20:19, ha salem wrote:

> dear users
>      I have encouneterd a problem with mpirun I have 2 pc (every pc
> has 1 intel
>      quad core cpu) ,when I run mdrun on 1 machine with  "-np 4 "
> option the calculation
>      run on 4 cores and goes faster ,system monitor show all 4 cores
> of this cpu are working
>      every core has 90% cpu usage,and every thing is ok
>      but now I connect 2 computer to LAN and I executed lamboot -v
> lamhosts
>      then I run mpirun -np 8 but I see the all 8 cores of 2 machines
> are workinng with
>      20 % 10% cpu usage and speed is lower than 4 cores of 1 cpu!!!!
This could have a lot of reasons. What kind of interconnect do you
use? If it is gigabit
Ethernet, you will need at least 80000 particles to be faster on two 4
CPU machines compared
to one. With only fast ethernet, do not expect any scaling at all on
today's fast processors.

Try grompp -shuffle -sort, this will help increase the scaling a bit.

Regards,
   Carsten