[gmx-users] Dynamical atom groups in 'index.ndx'

Vitaly Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:40:07 CEST 2008

Hi Berk,

BH> I think this would require complete rewriting of all the (required) analysis tools.
BH> Currently all tools assume that you have a static, fixed length list of atoms.
BH> You can not "simply" make this list dynamic.
BH> It would be very useful to have such a functionality, but one would like to
BH> have this implemented at a higher level.

You are absolutely true here. It is more convenient to firstly treat a trajectory and then apply analysis tools.

Does GROMACS team plan to add such functionality in the nearest future? No matter in what way it will be implemented.

BH> There is currently a (limited) similar functionality via trjorder.
BH> trjorder can order atoms based on distance.
BH> This effectively makes
BH> you index group dynamic, but the size is fixed.
BH> (although not for g_velacc, which needs time correlation, but there
BH> it becomes difficult to define what you want to calculate exactly
BH> with dynamic groups)

Why not? One can want to calculate a diffusion constant in the solvation shell of an ion,
inside and outside any confinements, like zeolites, nanotubes, etc. To do this, we need molecules which are
currently located there. If the molecule goes out, it should be simply removed to no longer take
part in the calculation. When the other molecule comes to the area of interest the calculation (for example, VACF)
should just start for it from the beginning.

The 'trjorder' as I understand can only resort the trajectory file to have the needed particles at the beginning. The problem
is that when one particle replaces another in the area of interest the analysis tool "thinks" it is the same molecule. I don't know
if it can lead to significant inaccuracy. Maybe not.

Best,
Vitaly

--
Vitaly V. Chaban