[gmx-users] disulphide bonds

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 26 21:34:17 CEST 2008

rams rams wrote:
> Dear Tsjerk,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but when I use -merge command it says
> segmentation error. Let me put the problem in a more elaborated way.
>
> I am running this simulation on insulin. It has two chains "a" and "b"
> which are independent fragments but there are two inter disulphide
> bonds between the two chains. If I  keep the two chains as a single
> molecule (as -merge command does) gromacs could recognize the inter
> dishlphide bonds but while running the following error appears:
>
>     396    398  113.3    0.1470   0.2974      0.1470
>     398    399   93.1    0.1530   0.4267      0.1530
>     399    400   45.5    0.1230   0.1693      0.1230
>     399    401   46.5    0.1330   0.1881      0.1330
> Step=    2, Dmax= 5.0e-03 nm, Epot= -3.06153e+22 Fmax=         inf,
> atom= 25
> Program mdrun, VERSION 3.3.1
> Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 226
>
> Range checking error:
> Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
> based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
> errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
> coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
> put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
> Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
> energy seems reasonable before trying again.
>
> Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 ..
> 1000 ]
> Please report this to the mailing list (gmx-users at gromacs.org
> <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>)

When do you get this error (i.e., minimization, equilibration,
production)?  Usually this type of error comes up from a poorly
minimized/equilibrated structure.

I agree with Tsjerk that using -merge is the right way to form your
disulfide, so I assume something else is going wrong during your system
preparation.  If you'd like to provide details on what you're doing in
terms of minimization/equilibration, and the contents of the relevant
.mdp files, we may be able to detect problems.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080