[gmx-users] Avoiding parameterization step

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Tue Mar 11 12:11:37 CET 2008

> Thank you very much for your response. I am at the moment interested in doing conformational search.

Using freeze groups in combination with conformational search does not
seem optimal...

> Is there any good paper that explain nicely about doing the charge distribution calculation?

You need to do an ab initio calculation on the system you want to
parametrize. This will give you the true charge distribution to which
you can fit a set of partial charges located on the nuclei. There are
several possibilities to do the fitting, check what the QM programs you
can use support. But in the end the charges are not too strongly
dependent on the fitting/level of QM. In addition you can sample several
configurations and use some sort of averaging to get the partial charge
(see RESP).

Gerrit