[gmx-users] Re: DMSO G53a6 FF in Gromacs

Andreas Boozo Frank andreas.frank at ch.tum.de
Wed Mar 12 17:20:19 CET 2008

Dear all,

I think I found the reason for the deviation after "hunderds of small
runs"...:-): I normally used Dispersion Correction for both the energy
and pressure because in the manual the following is noted:

"...The pressure correction in contrast is very large and can not be
neglected. Although it is in principle possible to
parameterize a force field such that the pressure is close to 1 bar even
without correction, such a method makes
the parameterization dependent on the cut-off and is therefore
undesirable. Please note that it is not consistent to
use the long range correction to the dispersion without using either a
reaction field method or a proper long range
electrostatics method such as Ewald summation or PPPM."

Maybe I got it wrong (and I am still a little bit confused) but because
I used the reaction-field approximation I turned on DispCorr for
Pressure. However, it seems that the Gromos DMSO FF was established in a
way that the correction is "included" in the parameter set which was /
is not clear to me when reading the DMSO paper.

And thank you Berk for the explanation of the Orire parameters.

CU,

Andreas