[gmx-users] Re: kinetically trapped in a local minimum???

Alan Chen achen at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Mar 15 19:46:56 CET 2008

Hi Cong:

To expand on Mark's answer, there is no "universal test" for convergence
of all properties, and therefore the best you can ever hope to do is
check for convergence of the observable(s) you care
about, and any closely related quantities you can think of (especially,
as previously mentioned, any closely related quantities that can be
estimated using a simpler model where sampling is not
an issue).  But temperature, pressure, and internal energy should
definitely have converged before you analyze data, with a large
macromolecule almost certainly whatever you are interested in will
converge on a slower timescale than these variables alone.

As for your second question, that is an ever harder question to answer.
If you can only run 1 simulation due to  system size or computational
resources, you have to assume that the crystal structure is sufficiently
near the global minimum (after the prerequisite minimization and
equilibration).  If it's possible to run multiple simulations with
slightly different initial preparations (say, different starting
velocities or different structures from an NMR ensemble, for example) ,
you can at least compare how self-similar they are and if they are very
heterogeneous then that is a red flag as well that you  are not yet
converged.  If they are fairly self-similar, then you can do some
statistical analysis like seeing how your answer changes if you only use
a subset of your simulations to calculate your observable, or start
chopping your simulations shorter and see how that would have affected
your answer, and that at least gives you some idea of  a confidence
interval which you can't get with just one simulation.  However, if your
answer depends heavily on your maximum simulation length or very rare,
non reversible events, then you are probably kinetically trapped and not
converged.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Alan