[gmx-users] popc

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 21 17:24:26 CET 2008

You are experiencing problems because popc is not a protein and
pdb2gmx is currently only set up for proteins. More importantly, you
already have popc.itp so you don't need to run  pdb2gmx on it.

I suggest that you read the manual more closely about setting up a
simulation and clarify your ideas about the purpose of pdb2gmx, and
what .top and .itp files are for.

I have posted previously on this topic, so the search that Justin
recommended should be fruitful. Briefly, use pdb2gmx on your protein
then separate out the protein specific part to protein.itp. Then
include protein.itp and lipid.itp in your .top file and set the number
of each in your [ molecules ] section.

There are some links here:
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Membrane_Simulations

I have been thinking to update that section with some more specific
information, but I am not sure how useful that will be until the wiki
is searchable by the main mailing list search engine since these two
places to get info are currently disconnected.

Chris.