[gmx-users] minimization -- bugzilla or general advice?

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:40:33 CET 2008

Xavier,

>  I was surprised by the value you use for emstep=1.0e-8. This is the
>  "maximum step size" and is in nm! I think that's where your problem is.

I added this recently in testing because I thought perhaps the problem
could be due to using too large of steps. It does not help. So
everything I send in my previous e-mail holds true regardless of which
emstep value I use (default vs 1.0e-8).

>  The minimizer is probably incapable to find anything better for your
>  system with this step size and therefore stops.
>
>  Did you try to keep the default value emstep=0.01 nm or something
>  bigger than 1.0e-8?

Also, I think your argument is backwards: steepest descents should
work better (but slower) the smaller the step size, I think. If steps
are too big it won't be able to move down the gradients accurately
enough and risks not being able to find the minimum. The smaller the
steps are the more accurately it should be able to find the minimum.

Thanks,
David