[gmx-users] minimization -- bugzilla or general advice?

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 01:22:47 CET 2008

Dear Christian,

>  mmh, just my 0.02€: I guess in a very rough energy landscape (as in
>  solvated peptides or proteins) this is not generally true, because
>  with small steps the system might get stuck in the next tiny local
>  minimum, while with a larger step size it may jump across it.
>  And I guess exactly this happens in your failing simulations: Your
>  system is stuck in a local minimum high up on the slopes of the energy
>  funnel. I guess this is just normal and happens some times. You might
>  alter the system by a little modeling (move the problematic atoms
>  slightly), or try -DFLEXIBLE, or perhaps rather increase step size.
>  Double precision minimization has proved to be more stable for me in
>  problematic cases, like straightening out a skewed average structure
>  of a trajectory.

If the system is truly in a local minimum, the force should be small,
right, since the force is by definition zero at any minimum (local or
otherwise)? I agree there may be situations in which the *energy* may
still be very unfavorable after minimization, but the forces should be
small.

I should note that I never have these problems (incomplete
minimization) with any other simulation package I use, so I strongly
suspect that the problem is something that GROMACS in particular is
doing in minimization, and *not* just a general problem with
minimizing on a high-dimensional landscape.

David