[gmx-users] benchmark: buying a new cluster

Yang Ye leafyoung at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 12:11:36 CEST 2008

There two CPUs differing not only in frequency but also in FSB speed.
But the differences in FSB shall be ignorable for Gromacs.

You have two dimensions to think.
1. power of all nodes = number of cores * frequency
2. power of a single node.

If you intend to have one simulation running just on one node, more
cores are better. This happens to be my case.
If 32-core or more parallel running is planned, 2.8GHz helps.

Regards,
Yang Ye