[gmx-users] benchmark: buying a new cluster

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon May 5 14:54:56 CEST 2008

To some extent, it depends on your interconnect and the number of atoms in the simulations that you will be doing. If you are using gigabit ethernet, then you may not scale very well beyond 8 cores on these dual node quad cores and so there is an argument to be made for 10% faster. However, if you are using a faster interconnecting wire, then you could easily parallelize (infiniband et al scales 100% to 32 cpus with >300K atoms for my cutoffs) and there is then an argument for more cores. I would personally go for additional cores.

Also, I have never been involved in the purchasing and so I don't know too much about bulk discounts, but you should at least consider spending half of your money now and saving half for an upgrade in 6 months when the prices will have come down. I suppose that depends on whether you expect to be at 100% utilization immediately or if there will be a ramping up period of your usage.

Chris.