[gmx-users] REMD: average potential energy as a function of temperatue

Robert Johnson bobjohnson1981 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:20:34 CEST 2008

Hello Pascal,
I'm not sure I can really comment on (1), but the reason why your
energy gap decreases in (2) is because the energy fluctuations in your
system increase as you raise the temperature. For example, at low
temperatures your potential energy distributions will be sharply
peaked about the average value. However, as you increase the
temperature, the peak will broaden because of the increased thermal
fluctuations. As a result, you will have more overlap between your
potential energy distributions at higher temperature.

If you would like a constant acceptance ratio for your replicas, a
linear temperature distribution is not going to work (for the reason I
just described). For a constant acceptance ratio, the temperatures
should be exponentially distributed. In fact, the way I choose my
temperatures is to fit them to the following functional form: T(n) = A
+ B exp(n/C) where n is the nth replica. What you can do is vary the
temperature of a few of your low temperature replicas until you get
the correct acceptance ratio and then do the same thing at higher
temperature. Then you can fit the curve to that. It's kinda a quick
and dirty method, however I have found that it works pretty well. It
enabled me to get pretty much constant acceptance ratios (within a 1-3
percent) across the entire temperature range of a 64 replica REMD
simulation.
Bob