[gmx-users] box vectors entry in "gro" file

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed May 7 09:45:11 CEST 2008

Hi David/Makoto,

I wouldn't call it a stupid error, keeping nine numbers for the
definition of a box. Of course in simulation the lower triangular part
of the box matrix is zero. But if you reorient the system and want to
preserve PBC (like after fitting), the box will be rotated and the
full matrix needs to be used to properly represent the system. Also,
in some cases (like the calculation of an optimal box shape based on
geometry), the initial orientation may not be aligned with the axes,
and the full representation (nine numbers) needs to be used, which can
then be transformed to a proper simulation cell for gromacs. The only
thing I find stupid are the messages "only triclinic boxes...[etc]"
and "box too skewed", since any box can be easily transformed to
comply with the rules for a proper box at any time.

Just my two cEUR.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--