[gmx-users] Re: g_rms: Too many iterations in routine JACOBI

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:16:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

Maybe good courtesy to sign with a bit more than some initials. It's
so much nicer to have a bit of the impression to know whom you're
talking to.

As for the question, if you would select 'Protein' to extract a part
of your system to a trajectory, this part would likely be the first N
atoms from your system and would therefore correspond one to one with
the first N atoms of your reference structure. Then, running g_rms and
again selecting 'Protein' (or any subset of Protein, e.g. Backbone),
there would be no mismatch between the selection in the trajectory and
the reference. The index file is just a set of numbers. You have to
make sure that some number X points to the same atom in the reference
as it does in the trajectory.

Solutions are: extract the same subset of atoms from your reference to
generate a reference structure matching your trajectory extracted OR
just use the original trajectory with the original reference and use
the index file to select a group in g_rms (or any other tool).

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--
Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.