[gmx-users] Unable to neutralize my system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 8 13:17:55 CEST 2008

Quoting namita at ncbs.res.in:

> Dear All
>
> When I run the command "genion" specifying the number n type of chrges to
> be added, it works fine. I also have made changes in my topology file. But
> somwhow when I run the "grompp" after that it gives me the following
> error...
>
> processing topology...
> Generated 380 of the 1326 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours for Protein 1
> Excluding 2 bonded neighbours for SOL 2818600
> Excluding 1 bonded neighbours for Na+ 2
> NOTE:
>   System has non-zero total charge: -2.399999e+01
>
> processing coordinates...
> Program grompp_mpi, VERSION 3.3.1
> Source code file: grompp.c, line: 448
>
> Fatal error:
> number of coordinates in coordinate file (ce_myoII_frag0_neu.gro, 8461523)
>              does not match topology (ce_myoII_frag0.top, 8461535)
>
> I tried adding 2 and 3 ions to the system. But it seems to give the same
> error. Could someone help?

As a general reference, see here:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#Number_of_coordinates_in_coordinate_file_does_not_match_topology

In the absence of the command lines you used or seeing the changes you made to
the topology file, all I can safely say is that you did something wrong.  If
you can show us what you passed to genion, and the relevant section of you
topology (the [molecules] section, before and after), we might have a better
idea as to what's going on.

-Justin

> Thanks
> Namitha Mohandas