[gmx-users] Question about x2top

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 8 16:00:11 CEST 2008

Quoting Jussi Lehtola <jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi>:

> Hi,
>

> first of all, thanks to Mark and David for helping me with building
> potentials.
>
> Is there any way to speed up x2top? When I have generated a system of
> thousands of molecules using genconf and make a topology for it using
> x2top, the process can take hours. Is it OK just to copy the
> single-molecule topology made by x2top N times for a system of N
> molecules?

You don't need to make explicit copies of the same parameters for a system of N
molecules.  If, for example, you have a "molecule.itp" file, in your topol.top,
you would #include "molecule.itp" and in your [molecules] section, add the line:

molecule     N

Think of water as an analogy.  You wouldn't include an "spc.itp" for each and
every water molecule, would you?  The parameters are applied to each molecule
of the same type.

> Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
> Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
> jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50673