[gmx-users] atomname -> atomic number

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 15 08:22:04 CEST 2008

Daniel Baum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to write a reader for *.gro files, but I couldn't find any
> information about how to map the atomname to the atomic number. Can
> anyone shed some light on this problem? I would be most grateful.

It's an ill-defined problem... is "HG" mercury or some kind of hydrogen?
"CD" a delta-carbon or cadmium? It's better-defined if you can assume
some kind of convention about atom naming, e.g. the PDB one, or the NMR
one, etc.

It's much easier to avoid re-inventing the wheel. People may have some
suggestions if you let us know why you want to write a .gro reader that
needs to assign atomic numbers.