[gmx-users] atomname -> atomic number

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Thu May 15 08:53:38 CEST 2008

> Hi,
>
> I would like to write a reader for *.gro files, but I couldn't find any
> information about how to map the atomname to the atomic number. Can
> anyone shed some light on this problem? I would be most grateful.

The ff*nb.itp file contains already the atomic numbers of the atoms.
Probably not too easy to use directly.

These numbers are read in, and you could even think of writing a small
tool from the template source code that writes out atomnumber and
coordinates. After reading tpr file, atomnumber are stored in
t_mdatoms->atomicnumber (include/types/mdatom.h).
BEst,
Gerrit