[gmx-users] Ordering with trjorder

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 14:47:29 CEST 2008

> From: ddubov at ngs.ru
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:20:02 +0700
> Subject: [gmx-users] Ordering with trjorder
>
> Dear gmx_users,
>
> could you clarify me how the "trjorder" procedure works?
> Manual says "For each frame of the trajectory the selected
> molecules will be reordered according to..." and so on.
> Does it mean that the ordering within each frame is
> INDEPENDENT on the prehistory and further moving of the
> group? In other words the first (the closest) molecules
> for different frames may be the different molecules?

Yes.

> For me, I would like to identify some molecules closest to
> the reference AT THE BEGINNING of my simulation and then
> to trace their evolution through the whole run. For this
> purpose the number of each molecule must be no changing
> from frame to frame! Can I do this with trjorder?

No, but it would not be difficult to modify the tools.
A probable easy solution would be to use trjorder only on the first
frame and write a pdb file as output. You can then look in the pbd file
for the residue numbers of the closest molecules and make an index file.

> And one more striking thing: even when I order each frame,
> the size of output (ordered) trr-file is about twice less
> than the size of input trr!

You probably have velocities in your trr, these are not written by trjorder.

Berk.