[gmx-users] problem regarding energy minimization

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 19 09:45:58 CEST 2008

sangeeta kundu wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>

>             I want to minimize an average structure obtained from a
> simulation, by conjugate gradient method.. As this method is more
> efficient than steepest descent I am trying with this method. The
> minimization has gone smoothly with steepest descent and lbfgs, but it
> failed while using conjugate gradient giving the following error message.
>

> processing coordinates...
>
> double-checking input for internal consistency...
>
> ERROR: can not do Conjugate Gradients with constraints (8901)

> Program grompp, VERSION 3.3.1
>
> Source code file: grompp.c, line: 1109
>

> Fatal error:
>
> There were 1 error(s) processing your input
>

> I used Dflexible water model and there was no constraints in my mdp
> file. My question is
>

>  1) Which method is better to minimize an average structure?
>
> 2)  What is happening here, I can not detect the error.

See
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Energy_Minimisation#Conjugate_gradient_minimization_and_constraints

Your topology must be defining some constraints, either through actually
using a non-flexible water molecule, being overridden by the .mdp file
flags, or explicitly defined in the .top or .itp files. In particular,
in the .mdp file "-Dflexible" will not have the same effect as "-DFLEXIBLE".