[gmx-users] Max #atoms in a charge group: 68 > 64

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 26 15:04:55 CEST 2008

Samuel Coulbourn Flores 花山 wrote:
> So, is it generating the charge groups based on residue numbering?

I said to look at your .itp/.top file... below you've pasted your .pdb
file. I can't tell what your charge groups look like...

>  Can
> I solve the problem by just editing the residue number column such that
> the ligand is now composed of two "residues"?  If not, how should I
> specify how the molecule is to be broken up into charge groups?  How
> strict is the requirement that the charge be an integer?  It seems
> unlikely that any subset of the molecule will have net integer charge.

That all depends how you generated the topology in the first place.

Non-integral charge-groups with group-based cut-offs will make strict
energy conservation difficult/impossible, though whether that has much
effect depends on other stuff. I've no idea if this 64-atom limit is
just a weird genion thing, or a problem you'll see with mdrun too...