[gmx-users] lipid gel phase simulation model building

Carsten Selle selle at physik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu May 29 18:27:00 CEST 2008

Dear gromacs users,

the gel phase of some lipids as the L beta prime of DPPC is
characterized by all-trans alkyl chains which are tilted with respect to
the bilayer normal. I would like to set set up a system analog to the
one described by Venable, Brooks & Pastor, J. Chem. Phys., 112 (2000),
pp. 4822. They used a periodic box which is cubic (39 x 39 x 63 A***3).
I tried editconf and genbox to  generate a cubic simulation box and a
suitable aqueous environment for the bilayer I generated from crystal
data. However, since the box is cubic, there is plenty of room for
unwanted water-alkyl interaction. genbox accordingly placed water in
hydrophobic places.  The water molecules should (almost) only interact
with with the lipid headgroups and water. Any helpful comment is greatly
appreciated.

Best regards,
Carsten

--