[gmx-users] inconsistency in .pdb files

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 30 00:17:40 CEST 2008

h a wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I am a beginner with gromacs. I converted a sample pdb file to gromacs
> file using "pdb2gmx" and then converted it back to pdb file using
> "genconf" but I found that positions of atoms was changed and so was
> their thermal factor. I did not understand why there was change in
> position of the atoms.

 From genconf -h "genconf  multiplies  a given coordinate file by simply
stacking them on top of each other, like a small child playing with
wooden blocks." Thus you should be expecting position changes!

The .gro format doesn't have thermal factors, so neither will any format
  using a structure derived from such a file.

Also, there's no GROMACS-related need for you to want to regenerate a
PDB file... any structure file format will do... See
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Coordinate_File#On_the_need_for_a_.gro_file

> when I observed both of them using pymol I found
> inconsistency in type of atoms and bond locations.
>
> can you please explain why this happened .

No, because "inconsistency" is too vague to be understood. We need to
know what you did, what you saw, what you expected and why you thought
something was wrong.