[gmx-users] RE: vsite problem in gromacs 4.0

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 4 16:48:16 CET 2008

1) Are whole charge groups are utilized also for LJ calculation if one
atom of that charge group falls within the cutoff? If so, it seems to
me that putting all of the atoms in each aromatic side chain into
their own charge group could slightly change the equilibrium
properties of a peptide or protein since aromatic residues would then
be more strongly attracting near the cutoff distance than they are
when assigned the regular charge groups of a force-field. Probably not
a serious issue, but something to consider.

2) Also, Berk, you mention the possibility for "dt=4 or 5 fs with
-vsite h (and optionally heavy hydrogens)". I am a little confused
again. I interpreted, based on some help that you gave me last week,
that the following should be enough:

pdb2gmx -vsite, with:
dt = 0.004
constraints =  all-bonds
constraint_algorithm =  lincs
lincs-iter =  1
lincs-order =  6

And that to go above dt=0.005 would require heavy hydrogens also,
although that might not be such a good idea.

your post: http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-October/037569.html

Thanks for any clarifications,
Chris.