[gmx-users] the mdp file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 5 06:08:21 CET 2008

Again, please keep all correspondence on the gmx-users list.  If others have
better ideas than me, they will be able to weigh in :)

He, Yang wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Actually, when I set the nsteps by 10, I found that disassociation about the two strands of DNA happened. Hence, in your views,  what is the problem?
>
> However, when I set the nsteps by 100 or larger, it did not disassociate at all for the DNA,keeping original state. I just got confused about that.

All of this may be a result of statistical sampling or whatever conditions you
are imposing.  If you are pulling the DNA apart or applying a high temperature,
then maybe this phenomenon can occur in a very short timeframe.  Otherwise, I
simply find your whole situation strange, and without substantially more
information, it is hard for anyone to interpret your odd results.

Run several simulations of adequate length to see separation of your DNA
strands, under whatever conditions you deem appropriate.  If you obtain a
reasonably consistent set of results, then you can be pretty confident about
what you are seeing.  But just because one simulation doesn't necessarily
doesn't do the same thing as another does not necessarily indicate any
particular problem.

-Justin