[gmx-users] problem with openmpi and gromacs4.0

Mike Hanby mhanby at uab.edu
Thu Nov 6 17:30:34 CET 2008

I would suggest that you test OpenMPI first using a simple hello world
on 32 processors to see if it can run successfully:

$ mkdir -p ~/jobs/helloworld && cd ~/jobs/helloworld

$ vi ./helloworld-mpi.c

/*-------------------------code------------------------*/

#include <stdio.h>

#include <mpi.h>

int

main(argc, argv)

int   argc;

char  *argv[];

{

  int  rank, size, len;

  char name[MPI_MAX_PROCESSOR_NAME];

  MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);

  MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);

  MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &size);

  MPI_Get_processor_name(name, &len);

  printf ("Hellow world! I'm %d of %d on %s\n", rank, size, name);

  MPI_Finalize();

  exit(0);

}

$ rm helloworld*.o && /path/to/openmpi/bin/mpicc -o helloworld-openmpi
helloworld-mpi.c

$ mpirun -np 32 -hostfile mpd.hosts helloworld-openmpi

See if that works properly first.

Mike