[gmx-users] Announcing a new membrane analysis tool: GridMAT-MD

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 10 16:47:35 CET 2008

Hi All,

I would like to announce the availability of a new program developed within our
lab for membrane analysis, which we have named GridMAT-MD.  The program measures
bilayer thickness across the membrane, projected in the plane of the bilayer, as
well as area per lipid.  The program *does* account for the presence of membrane
proteins.

The algorithm and validation have been accepted by the Journal of Computational
Chemistry, and the article is now in press, although it has not yet appeared in
electronic format online.

The program is written in Perl, and has been tested under all the major
operating systems.  Currently GridMAT-MD only supports the input of .gro files,
but we expect to expand upon this shortly.  Please feel free to download
GridMAT-MD and test it; we are offering it for free under the terms and
conditions of the GPL:

http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/GridMAT-MD

We ask that you fill out a simple form when you download it, mostly to satisfy
our own curiosity to know how many people are downloading it.

If you have any questions about usage or if you run into any problems, please
feel free to contact any of the developers, whose contact information can be
found at the GridMAT-MD site.  The tarball contains a PDF users' guide which
should address many questions that may arise.

Thanks, and we hope you enjoy our little program.

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080