[gmx-users] the temperature effect in the simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 11 22:07:15 CET 2008

He, Yang wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> My box size is 3.13690   3.73000   2.70000 and I  use  the user-defined potential functions.

Is that box size adequate to avoid interaction of periodic images of your DNA?
Typical B-DNA is about 2 nm wide, if 2.7 nm is the width of your box, I'd bet
you're getting artefactual PBC interactions.

> #define _FF_GROMACS
> #define _FF_GROMACS1
>
> [ defaults ]
> ; nbfunc        comb-rule       gen-pairs       fudgeLJ fudgeQQ
>   1                     1               no                  1.0       1.0
>
> #include "ffyxhnb.itp"
> #include "ffyxhbon.itp"

Well, if you're defining your own potential, I'd look there for spurious
repulsive terms.  If the DNA is shearing apart, your repulsion between atoms may
be too large.  Combine that with artefactual PBC interactions, and that may give
rise to your strange behavior.

> This is my ffyxh.itp file
>
> Also  I have change the value of  tau_t by 0.1 but it did not work.
>
> Please let me know if you need any further information.

The entirety of the .mdp file, and what you've defined in your *nb.itp *bon.itp
files, in case there's anything obviously wrong.

-Justin