[gmx-users] charge distribution

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 13 03:40:40 CET 2008

Hongyan Xiao wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> For sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate(C_ 12 H_25 C_6 H_4 SO_3 Na), the
> charges of S and O in S0_3^- ^  , I cannot find the suitable charge.
> Forthermore, the carbon in benzene connecting the SO_3^-  is setted to
> be zero, I think that there may be questionable. The polarization of
> SO_3 ^_ -   is very large. what do you think so?
> Thanks again!

Well, like I said before, QM charges may be a reasonable starting point, but you
will undoubtedly have to do some empirical fitting; that's how Gromos96
parameters are derived.  A paper that may interest you regarding SDS parameters
in simulations:

Schweighofer, K.J., Essmann, U., and Berkowitz, M. (1997) J. Phys. Chem. B. 101:
3793-3799.

That work may provide you with some clues as to a starting point.

-Justin

> H. Y. Xiao

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant