[gmx-users] GROMOS with SPC/E water?

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:20:18 CET 2008

Hi,

Force fields have usually been parametrized with one specific water model.
For all GROMOS force fields this water model is SPC.
The people behind GROMOS would recommend you not to use any other
water model.

I have tested thermodynamic properties of GROMOS with SPC and SPC/E
and I would say that SPC/E actually performs slightly better than SPC
(and SPC/E is a better model for water than SPC), see:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp0641029

For configuration (gro) file, it does not matter much which starting configuration
you use, since you anyhow have to (re)equilibrate the solvent after you
solvate your solute. The differences in conformation between all 3-site
water models are minimal and will dissappear after a few hundred steps.

Berk