[gmx-users] Constraints - PMF - Different Molecules
aroberts99163 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 00:26:30 CET 2008
You need to technically make it 1 "big molecule". As long as there
are no bonds specified between molecule A and B. The big molecule
will behave as if there are two molecules in it. I do it to dock
small molecules to proteins.
Steps running Gromacs 3.3.3:
1) Combine molecules A and B into a big structure file (i.e. pdb or
2) Edit this file, so that they are the same chain.
3) run pdb2gmx
4) Change all the residue names to MOL and change Protein_A to MOL in
the top and pdb files.
5) Make sure that there is no bonds between molecule A and B in the
top file. There probably won't be, but it is good to check anyway.
5) run grompp to check this file to see if it is acceptable to gromacs.
6) add distance restraints after the improper dihedrals. If you put
it anywhere else, it will not work.
7) run grompp again to check this file to see if it is acceptable to
1) I would roughly dock the molecules together, so that you don't have
to have such a large water box.
2) I would experiment with force constants and time constants for the
distance restraints. A useful article is:
Torda, A. E., Scheek, R. M., and Gunsteren, W. F. v. (1989) Time-
dependent distance restraints in molecular dynamics simulations, Chem.
Phys. Lett. 157, 289-294.
I hope that helps.
On Nov 15, 2008, at 3:58 AM, Eudes Fileti wrote:
> Dear gmx-users, I need to use constraints between two
> polyatomic molecules in order to calculate PMF using free energy code.
> Can anybody help me to use these constraints over two different
> I ve already read something in the forum but not helped me enough.
> (see http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-February/020049.html)
> Eudes Eterno Fileti
> Centro de Ciências Naturais e Humanas
> Universidade Federal do ABC
> Rua Santa Adélia, 166 - Bloco B, Sala 1048
> 09210-170 Santo André - SP Brasil
> skype: eefileti
> gmx-users mailing list gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/search before
> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
> www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the gromacs.org_gmx-users