[gmx-users] large charge group

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:15:24 CET 2008

Hi,

The charge groups "only" affect the neighbor searching,
which in practice means they affect everything.

In Gromacs atoms in two different charge groups will only interactions
when the center of geometry of the two charge groups is within rlist.

The worst case scenario, which has happend to several people, is:
A molecule with a radius of about 0.5 nm is one charge group.
If the cut-off is 1 nm, two molecules will only really start interacting
when they already overlap.

In 4.0 I put a check on large charge groups.
If you have charge groups of more than 10 atoms, grompp will now
warn you with:
"The largest charge group contains %d atoms.\n"
"Since atoms only see each other when the centers of geometry of the charge groups they belong to are within the cut-off distance, too large charge groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts.\n"
"For efficiency and accuracy, charge group should consist of a few atoms.\n"
"For all-atom force fields use: CH3, CH2, CH, NH2, NH, OH, CO2, CO, etc.\n",

Berk