[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 55, Issue 130

servaas servaas.michielssens at student.kuleuven.be
Tue Nov 25 11:14:16 CET 2008

This is the code from repl_ex.c important for your question:

In the function get_replica_exchange:

m= (step / re->nst) %2;
#re->nst=number of steps that you give with the -replex option
  for(i=1; i<re->nrepl; i++) {
    a = re->ind[i-1];
    b = re->ind[i];
    bPrint = (re->repl==a || re->repl==b);
    if (i % 2 == m) {
		check for exchange
    }
When step/re->nst is odd m is 1 result is the e.g. for a system with 3
replicas and a swap attempt every 500 steps:
step500   0 x 1   2
step1000  0   1 x 2
step1500  0 x 1   2
etc...

So when step/re-nst is odd exchange is attempted between odd replicas
and odd replica -1, when step/re-nst is even exchange is attempted
between even replica and even replica -1.

hope this helps,

servaas