[gmx-users] SMP/Parallel mdrun

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:49:44 CET 2008

> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:49:10 +0000
> From: ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] SMP/Parallel mdrun
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Abraham wrote:
> > Terminology - GROMACS is not threaded, but uses MPI processes for
> > parallelism.
>
> Yes, I gathered that.
> >> I have an MPI-compiled version of gromacs v4.0 and am attempting to
> >> get parallel execution on a 2x2 core AMD Opteron system via:
> >>
> >> $ lamboot
> >> $ mdrun -np 4 -s ../1WOM.tpr -v -N 4
> >
> > -N does nothing, and -np is no longer accepted - as you'd know from
> > reading mdrun -h, right?
> That is a bit of a condecending way of putting it. If I knew -N did
> nothing and -np was no longer accepted, then of course I would not have
> used them. In fact, I was reading the documentation from a file called
> "manual-4.0.pdf" which stated:
>
> "
> If you have a single machine with multiple processors you don’t have to
> use the mpirun com-
> mand, but you can do with an extra option to mdrun:
> % mdrun -np 8 -s topol -v -N 8
> "
>
> so that is where I took the example from. I think this PDF was linked
> from the gromacs "documentation" section of the website.

Ah, I was not aware of this small section in the manual.
This information was already outdated about a decade ago.
I will remove it.

Note that mdrun also does not have the option -N.
(for some reason, which I still do not know, mdrun does
not check it command line options, unlike all other Gromacs
programs)

Berk