[gmx-users] some questions about gromacs

#NGUYEN CONG TRI# NGUY0045 at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Oct 6 13:18:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

1. Yes you can, please refer to this
http://chemistry.csulb.edu/ffamber/
There is a script to convert amber formats into gromacs format. You can get it from here
http://chemistry.csulb.edu/ffamber/tools.html
It is only tested for small molecules although it should work for bigger system.

2. Normally you have to run geometry optimization using a QM package (Gaussian or Gamess; Gamess is free. Sometimes they can give different results, though) at B3LYP/6-31G* level (I think this level is enough for most cases). Then calculate ESP at level HF/6-31G* and derive the RESP charge using Antechamber if your molecule is simple. Finally, you need to judge and add in mixing parameters bases on similar structure. Gaff and Antechamber can do this step for you if your molecule is simple enough. That's for preparing parameters for your molecules in Amber force field.

3. Nothing other than reading lots and experiencing yourself :).

Good luck!!!

Cheers