[gmx-users] Unexplained crashes with Gromacs-4.0

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 13 22:55:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've gotten the following error with two of my simulation systems.  Usually this
weird "variable ci" error means the system is unstable, and I've seen it before
when I've done a poor job of equilibrating.  But now I'm seeing it a long time
into my simulations (after 48 ns in one case, 60 ns in the other).  If I simply
re-submit the job, it runs fine.  The error shown is as follows:

Program mdrun_4.0_mpi, VERSION 4.0
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357

Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value 180. It should have been within [ 0 .. 180 ]

It seems to me that this "ci" variable is still within the range of 0->180, if
those values are inclusive.

My .mdp file is as follows:

title		= NPT simulation for a membrane protein
; Run parameters
integrator	= md
dt		= 0.002
nsteps		= 5000000	; 10000 ps (10 ns)
tinit		= 40000
nstcomm		= 1
; Output parameters
nstxout		= 50000		; every 100 ps
nstvout		= 50000
nstfout		= 50000
nstlog		= 5000		; every 10 ps
nstenergy	= 5000
nstxtcout	= 5000
; Bond parameters
constraint_algorithm 	= lincs
constraints		= all-bonds
continuation 		= yes
; Cut-off's and neighborsearching
nstlist		= 5
ns_type		= grid
rlist		= 1.2
rcoulomb	= 1.2
rvdw		= 1.2
; PME electrostatics parameters
coulombtype	= PME
fourierspacing  = 0.18
;fourier_nx	= 0
;fourier_ny 	= 0
;fourier_nz	= 0
pme_order	= 4
ewald_rtol	= 1e-5
optimize_fft	= yes
; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in three groups
Tcoupl	 	= Nose-Hoover
tc_grps		= Protein POPC SOL_NA+_CL-
tau_t		= 0.1 0.1 0.1
ref_t		= 310 310 310
; Pressure coupling is not on
Pcoupl		= Parrinello-Rahman
pcoupltype	= semiisotropic
tau_p		= 2.0
compressibility	= 4.5e-5 4.5e-5
ref_p		= 1.0 1.0
; Generate velocities is off
gen_vel		= no
gen_temp	= 310
gen_seed	= 7041776
; Periodic boundary conditions are on in all directions
pbc		= xyz
; Long-range dispersion correction
DispCorr	= EnerPres

Any ideas what's going on?