[gmx-users] Running MD only for selected part of molecule

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 14 13:59:49 CEST 2008

vivek sharma wrote:

> 2008/10/14 Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>
>

>     vivek sharma wrote:
>
>         Hi there,
>
>         I tried the mdrun by keeping a group of residue position
>         restrained, and it is working well (verified by comparing RMSD
>         plot for the same), thanks for your suggestions regarding the same.
>         But, I have seen that the part of the molecule I kept for PR is
>         still having some motion, how can I keep that part rigid ?
>

>     Position restraints do not necessarily guarantee that atomic
>     positions stay absolutely fixed.  Instead, there is an energy
>     penalty for moving them, which could in some cases be overcome.
>

>         I am not getting any idea of energy_excl option mentioned above,
>         please explain.
>

>     The freezegrps option can be used to fix atomic positions, but in
>     this case large forces can be generated within the frozen group.  As
>     such, you can apply energygrp_excl to exclude energetic terms within
>     the frozen group.
>

> Will it help me in reducing the time taken for the simulation if I'll
> keep the part of molecule frozen ?

I've never used freezegrps for any large set of atoms, so maybe.  If you've got
surrounding solvent, though, the nonbonded interactions are still calculated
between the frozen group and solvent, unless you turn that off too.  But then it
starts getting really unphysical, in my view.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080