[gmx-users] Re: How do gromacs remove center of mass of a group?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Oct 20 17:19:58 CEST 2008

zcwang wrote:
> Yeah, maybe my discription is a little bit complicated.
>
> Well, what I understand of the center of mass removal, e.g. linear
> removal, is that, the center of mass is not actually contrained or
> restrained, it's just that all velocities in the system are simply
> substracted by the velocities of the COM of the group every nstcomm
> steps.
>
> So in fact, the COM of the group is still moving in absolute space,
> right?
The COM of the system is stationary unless you have periodic boundary
condition (in which it fluctuates).
The overall velocity is subtracted from all the atomic velocities.

> For example, if I add a force to a protein in a water enviroment while I
> set the COM of the protein to be removed linearly, then the protein will
> not actually stay stationarily in terms of COM as to the water
> environment, but it will be dragged in the water environment, feeling
> the friction of water mainly in the direction against the pulling
> direction.

You probably wat to give the protein and the water opposite force such
that the net force is zero. Or else I don't understand what you want to
do...