[gmx-users] Walls & user defined potential

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:52:53 CEST 2008

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:55:16 +0800
From: bert.ustc at gmail.com
To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
Subject: [gmx-users] Walls & user defined potential

Hi gmx-users and developers,

I met a strange error when using wall function combined with user defined potential. Following is a part of the mdp:

vdw-type                 = user
energygrps              = Surf   SOL

; WALLS
; Number of walls, type, atom types, densities and box-z scale factor for Ewald
nwall                      = 2
wall_type                = table
wall_r_linpot            = -1
wall_atomtype         = W1  W2

wall_density            = 1.5  1.5
wall_ewald_zfac       = 2
energygrp_table       = Surf  wall0  Surf  wall1  SOL  wall0  SOL  wall1
table-extension        =  1.0
1) With the command bellow,

mdrun -table table_Surf_wall0.xvg table_Surf_wall1.xvg table_SOL_wall0.xvg table_SOL_wall1.xvg -deffnm prod

A fatal error was generated: Library file table_Surf_wall0_Surf_wall0.xvg not found in current dir nor in default directories.

Then I copy the table6-12.xvg from the top dir, rename it by table.xvg and add it in the command line,

mdrun -table table6-12.xvg table_Surf_wall0.xvg table_Surf_wall1.xvg table_SOL_wall0.xvg table_SOL_wall1.xvg -deffnm prod

Am I right? It seems to be ok now. BTW, only the parameters in the replusive colunm in table_SOL_wall1.xvg are none zero (when z>1, these values are aslo set to zero.)

This table should not be necessary.
I can see if I can modify the code such that it does not ask for this combination.

Note that you can use wall_type=table together will normal non-user vdw and Coulomb.

2) But when I make a parallel run, a crash was found:

One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return

0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.
PID 5798 failed on node n0 (127.0.0.1) due to signal 11.
mpirun failed with exit status 11

Can you send me the input for this (or file a bugzilla)?

3) Moreover, if table-extension set to 0.0, a fatal error was caught:
'An atom is beyond the wall: coordinates -5371173273600.000000 -20382570512384.000000 2778490208256.000000, distance -1.000000
You might want to use the mdp option wall_r_linpot'

I have tested several values, crash is found only when this value is less than 0.2.

You should never set table-extension to 0.
You need a certain extension for charge group size and atom diffusion with nstlist steps.

Berk

If you have any suggestions, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in
advance.